Deadline for residency in France extended until September

The deadline for Brits to apply for residency in France after Brexit has been extended until 30th September 2021. You now have a little extra time to apply for a carte de séjour so you can enjoy your gite.

With the events of the past 18 months or so, having to apply for a Withdrawal Agreement Residency Permit (WARP) was an extra burden on an already turbulent time.

Fortunately, the deadline has been extended and you have an extra three months to apply.

The French government understood that more than 25,000 Brits had yet to apply for residency so have extended the deadline.

Residency in France post-Brexit

If you were legally resident in France before 1st January 2021, you need to apply for residency. Otherwise you’ll lose access to healthcare, employment benefits and other legal rights in France.

You’ll also be subject to the usual 180 days per year limit for staying in France unless you apply for long stay visas.

Apparently, those Brits who didn’t apply either didn’t know the permit applied to them or feared rejection and didn’t both. This isn’t something that will go away so anyone wanting to stay in France permanently needs to apply for the permit or risk being sent back to Britain.

You need to apply for residency if you have:

  • A European carte de séjour, permanent or otherwise
  • No European carte de séjour
  • An active application for dual citizenship or nationality
  • Married an EU citizen and haven’t naturalised
  • Have no other permit but want to stay in France

The process is actually quite straightforward and doesn’t involve jumping through too many hoops. That’s pretty good for France!

Help is available on the British government website or the Remain in France website.

Withdrawal Agreement Residency Permit (WARP) for gite owners

If you own a gite in France and want to stay longer than 90 days at a time and more than 180 days in a year, you’ll need either a long stay visa or a Withdrawal Agreement Residency Permit (WARP).

We would recommend the WARP as it enables you to stay in France permanently so you can run your business and enjoy all the delights this lovely country has to offer.

Most immigration specialists and international lawyers should be able to assist with your WARP or you could do it yourself. The form isn’t too bad and shouldn’t take all that long to complete.

If you were living here before 1st January 2021, you can apply between now and 30th September for your WARP which should entitle you to remain.

It isn’t something you can avoid and if you fit into any of the criteria above, it’s something you definitely need to do.

Leave a Reply

Compare listings

%d bloggers like this: